A Review and Comparison of Maryellen Larkin

       Well, looky here! We have ourselves a spontaneous doll review today! I got Maryellen for my birthday a couple days ago, and I thought it might be fun to review her. I’ll also compare her to some of my other dolls in case you’re curious about her uniqueness. 

       To get started here’s a lovely photo of Ellie: 

       Before I really get into the review, I wanted to say that my mom purchased Maryellen at the online benefit sale this year, so she’s not a recently produced doll. I’ve dated her to about 2015, so if you’re curious about the current quality of AG’s Maryellens, this is not the review for you, my friend.


       As you can see, I’ve already taken her hair out of its ponytail. It’s got some nice waves, but it could benefit from sitting in curlers overnight. Her hair is a really unique color- you’ll see when I get to the comparisons. What’s kind of cool is that her eyebrows are the exact same color, but they don’t look too light. Her face paint is a little lighter than I’d like it too be, but I think that’s just because they’ve increased the amount of coloring on their dolls faces over the years, and this Ellie is a little bit older. Her lip paint is definitely not even. One of the sides of her upper lip is thicker than the other. 

       Oh well. 🤷‍♀️ You can’t win them all, they say. I honestly didn’t even notice this until I started my review, so I don’t think it will bother me too much. It definitely does not take away from her overall cuteness! 

       Moving on to her clothes, her shrug is actually a lot nicer than I thought it would be. It’s also a lot greener in real life, my lighting is just that bad. 😂 

       Her dress is really cute. It looks very fun and time-period appropriate. Honestly, I know I’ve seen it a million times, but I guess I’ve never looked at it this closely before because I never realized how cute it is! I’m obsessed so we’re just going to move on now…

       Again, her shoes are so much nicer than I thought they’d be. They’re actually very detailed and high quality. I don’t know why I thought she’d be lower quality than she is. 

       I almost forgot to show you guys the hair tie. It’s a bow on a hair tie. I don’t know what else to say except that the bow can’t be untied, which is good.

       I think that just about sums up this brief review. I want to get to the much anticipated comparison part!

       So, I know that when Courtney came out, people were thought she looked too much like Maryellen. I compared them at the store after I got Courtney, but now I finally have a Maryellen to show you guys. 

       I think the biggest difference is their hair. Maryellen’s has more red, whereas Courtney’s is almost blonde. Courtney’s is also a little bit shorter and obviously, much curlier. They both have side bangs, but Courtney’s bangs are shorter and swoopy-er. Then there’s the obvious eye color difference. You can’t really see because of my lighting, but Maryellen has hazel eyes, and Courtney has blue. It could also just be my lighting, but I think Maryellen’s skin has a different undertone. I can’t quite place it, but Courtney’s skin looks like it has more of a red undertone. Overall, I honestly don’t think they look that much alike. There are definitely dolls like look much more identical. 

 

       Because I was curious, I thought I might compare Maryellen with Nellie. They honestly look nothing alike, so I’m not going to list all the differences. I think just about the only similarity is that they have the same eyebrow pattern! 

       Looking at my other dolls, I realized that none of them look that close to Maryellen. She’s actually really unique even though her combination seems kind of basic. I’d rate her an 8/10! She’s very cute and I totally recommend her if you’re thinking about adding her to your collection. Plus, she has quite a few outfits and accessories available. I actually have her poodle skirt and the girl sized outfit they used to have with it. I think it still fits…

        That’s all for now! Have a great day and remember to eat your vegetables! 

Comments

  1. What a beautiful new doll! I love her! You have really described your dolls perfectly! Your piece was so clever and interesting! I am not at all surprised by your uniqueness and your multitalented persona! I love and adore all of your dolls, but more than that, I love, love, love, and adore my beautiful, bright, and brave granddaughter!!!! Keep the well thought-out narrative going my love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try to remember to eat more veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice review of your pretty new doll. Very informative and insightful. I think you have a knack of writing like your momma! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Questions, Comments, Concerns, New baking recipes? Let me know here in the comments!

Our Viewers are Loving: