A Review of Nicki and Isabel Hoffman

            If you can’t tell by the title, I got Nicki and Isabel! As some of you may know, I’m trying to collect all of the historical characters, so I planned on getting them when they were first rumored. I wasn’t thrilled about them at first, but once the leaks came out, I was at least glad that they were so unique! Well, now that I have them, I can say that I absolutely do not regret getting them! All of the doubts I had turned out to be nothing to worry about, and I might even consider them to be some of the highest quality dolls AG has ever produced. I wasn’t necessarily planning to make this review, but I’m so pleased that, well, here I am! 

            To begin, I took several pictures while unboxing them. I was SO excited.




         Please don’t judge how unhappy all my dolls look crammed in the dollhouse like that. I just cleaned my room, and they’ll be all over my floor by tomorrow! At least I finally cleaned the dollhouse. 🙂 



       As you can see, their boxes are just the typical historical boxes. Nothing special! 

        Here are some close-ups:

Nicki

Isabel

          And here are some more various photos from the unboxing:




















       I think that you might be able to tell from these photos that they’re SO MUCH CUTER than in the stock photos. Especially Isabel! She’s actually very sweet looking! 

         Nicki and Isabel are AMAZING! We’ll start with a run-down of Nicki:

          My Nicki came to me with PERFECT face paint. Her lip paint is very pink compared to Isabel’s; and I think it fits Nicki very well. This is something consistent between dolls, judging by AG’s promo pictures. Her eyebrows and eyelashes are different colors, surprisingly! Her eyebrows are more brown and her painted eyelashes are almost auburn.



 Her painted eyelashes are nearly the same color as her hair, which might be the best wig AG has EVER used. It’s SO soft and smooth; way more so than any of my other dolls. I haven’t had to brush her hair yet, and she’s been moved around, laid down, and put in the wind already. That’s pretty significant. New dolls also tend to shed a little right out of the box. This is completely normal and entirely expected, but Nicki’s hair hasn’t shed. The weft coverage is great as well. You could definitely do pigtails with it without the cap showing. The hair doesn’t completely cover the sides of the wig cap around the ears, though. She doesn’t have layers, but her blonde streaks are a little shorter than the rest because they’re meant to be face framing. I’m so happy! The Joss mold is completely adorable on her. I’m going to talk more about the twins’ face mold in a moment. 








           I gave Isabel the benefit of the doubt, and wow, she looks completely different in real life! Isabel doesn’t look as mean as she does in her stock photo- she doesn’t even look a little mean! Her eyes do give her a little more of an intense gaze, but she honestly looks really sweet. I LOVE that they used the Felicity eyes, and ones similar to the older Felicity eyes as well. My Felicity is Beforever, and her eyes are a darker green. The yellow in her eyes pop so much, and overall the color accents her hair color so well! I put her in the perfectly plaid outfit (which came out in 1999!) and I can say with confidence that Isabel is adorable in green! Her face paint as far the eyebrows and eyelashes go are the same color as her sister’s, but the eyelashes pop a lot more on Isabel. Her lip and cheek paint is more of a light coral color, and it suits her so well.

 Her hair is a little shorter than Nicki’s, even though they’re illustrated with the same hair length. It’s slightly angled with a few layers that turn somewhat inward. Isabel also has a bit of face framing like Nicki, and that’s where most of the layers come in. She has staggered highlights. (I’m not positive if that’s a real term, but that’s how I would describe it.) Just like her sister, this is the SOFTEST DOLL HAIR EVER! I have brushed it because it’s thicker than Nicki’s, and it hasn’t shed, not even a little bit! The wig coverage is the same as Nicki’s and I also noticed that Isabel has the short hairs that dolls with braided meet hairstyles have to cover their wig cap! That means that Isabel’s hair is great for styling! 









         Both dolls came with super tight limbs! 

          The Joss mold fits both of them perfectly. AG has been making their dolls’ heads bigger lately, but it gives the Joss mold these really adorable chubby cheeks and I’m OBSESSED. I didn’t expect them to be able to wear Joss’ hearing aid, because Maritza and the other Joss mold Truly Mes can’t, but this is my biggest, most exciting discovery: THEY CAN WEAR JOSS’ HEARING AID! I’m SO, SO excited about this! Isabel can wear it slightly better than Nicki can, but it will definitely stay in for both. Since Joss came with an extra hearing aid, I’m thinking about using the extra for Isabel. What do you guys think? 




        The journals were a quick read for me. (Don’t worry; there are no spoilers ahead.) I read Isabel’s first, and then Nicki’s instead of doing my science homework. I’m a huge fan of the AG book illustrations, and even though Nicki and Isabel don’t have realistic illustrations like all the other historicals, it’s a really cute art style with so much beautiful color definition! I will say that I didn’t like the journals. Don’t get me wrong, their story was great and I LOVED the idea of it, but it was definitely lacking something, and there’s no way it would replace the full book for me. It would be great to supplement the story, like Tenney’s journal does, but it can’t replace it. The plot of the story was really good- the twins are all about girl power and feminism (which I LOVE), and I definitely want to read the full book when it comes out in August. 

        Overall, the twins are AWESOME! I rate them both 12 out of 10! They exceeded my expectations so much, that I’m still over the moon the day after I got them! Should you get the twins? ABSOLUTELY YES! They’re amazing quality, plus, they’re ADORABLE! 

         I wanted to include some photos from a photoshoot I did with Nicki already. I’m going to do one with Isabel soon, as well. 













         Well, that’s it for this spontaneous review! I want to do a photo series for their arrival, so stay tuned! The first part will be up on my regular posting day, Monday. If you guys have any ideas for the series, please let me know because I have no idea what the plot’s going to be.  Have a great day and remember to eat your veggies! Bye! <3

Comments

  1. Okay, I have to confess, they are both so adorable! When I first saw Nicki and Isabel I thought they both looked a bit creepy to be honest. But after I have been seeing reviews of them they are so cute!! I would love to get one of them some day. Also, I loved the photoshoot you did with Nicki!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are adorable! AG’s stock photos are definitely a little staring-into-your-soul-like. I was so surprised that Isabel could look so different and so much better in person! You should get one (or both) of them someday! I really recommend them. I think they’d fit in pretty well with the rest of your collection aesthetically, too!

      Delete
  2. I'm joking a bit, but I wonder if there is some kind of magical spell happening to humans when they see Nicki and Isabel in person. I read another blog who saw the two in person and fell completely in love with them like you did. I've only seen them online so far and their face/gaze/eyes....are still just way too intense for me. I have a question though - you mentioned how uniquely soft their hair is. I have Joss and 124...is their hair softer and easier to handle even than those two?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, some sort of magical spell is a reasonable explanation! To answer your question, I have Joss as well, and the twins’ hair feels very different to me. My Joss’ hair almost feels a little coarse and waxy, and has the tendency to tangle and get flyaways just as easily as any of my other dolls. The twins’ is a lot closer in texture to Josefina’s, and is silky to the point where it doesn’t tangle easily. I’m not really sure how it compares to 124, since I don’t have her, but I hope this answers you question!

      Delete
  3. I love your enthusiasm for both dolls and especially love, that in true JustDolling fashion, you have highlighted all the positive and unique characteristics that make the dolls so special!

    I was a bit skeptical of the quick turnaround and release of not one, but two, more historicals (since Claudie was just added to the line); but, I would agree that they seem to have been executed well.

    This is my favorite Blog, so I haven’t read other reviews, but don’t disagree that some of the stock photos don’t do the dolls justice. (But I feel that way about other dolls as well.) Maybe it’s a true adage of “don’t judge a book by the cover,” or in this case, “the stock photo on the cover.” ;-)

    Speaking of books, I was disappointed in the books, but hold out hope that the story will be really well-developed and fun! (But, again, aren’t we still waiting for Claudie’s second book?)

    My final thought…I love that they stayed true to the Joss mold and that both girls can wear the hearing aid!

    Thanks for sharing all these details. I hope you got your homework done! And, in case you change your mind in needing help with the future plot…I hope it includes troll dolls.

    Gotta bounce! ✌🏻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, to be fair, there was nothing negative to highlight about these dolls! I really was pleasantly surprised. The stock photos rarely ever do the dolls justice, but somehow Isabel and Nicki got it worse, and they really didn’t deserve that! The story was very good plot-wise, but the execution due to the fact that they were journals was poor. I’m also very glad and excited that they can wear the hearing aid! I haven’t seen this pointed out anywhere, so I’m sure it’ll be a big deal when people do figure that out. And yes, I got my homework done, and it turned out that it wasn’t even due the next day!

      Delete
  4. You are so right about them being better than the stock photos! Nicki is SO ADORABLE!
    Also, Nicki's photoshoot was so good! I loved the selfie style of the first picture and her boots...I love doll boots. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Nicki is adorable! I love those photos, too!

      Delete
  5. Me realising that the AG dolls have a sharper jawline than me...XD

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Questions, Comments, Concerns, New baking recipes? Let me know here in the comments!

Our Viewers are Loving: