Reacting to GOTY 2027
It's that time of year again! For the 5th year in a row, I'm bringing you my progressively less enthused reactions to the new Girl of the Year. It's actually really interesting to look back at these posts and see how my likes and opinions have changed. I'm very different from the E who reacted to Kavi in 2022.
So! Anyway!
AG's GOTY 2027 is Daisy Davenport, and I'm coming into this with a pretty good idea of her story. Her book was teased months and months ago, so a lot about her has been circulating online. Many outfit pieces also leaked via the grey market, but otherwise, I went into this post not knowing what to expect.
Let's get into it.
Daisy Davenport 18-inch Doll
Daisy is cute! I love dolls with bangs, and the Josefina mold is great. I really hate her meet outfit. I feel like that's given criticism since I'm not in AG's target age range, but it's so juvenile, and for some reason I feel like it doesn't match the rest of the doll. Like, I think I normally see Josefina molds as being older, if that makes any sense?? Idk. Seriously. the shirt looks like something I could have bought from Walmart in 2016. Additionally, Daisy is advertised as having auburn hair, but that looks REALLY brown to me?? Not even auburn in the way Beforever Felicity or Emily's hair is. Maybe it's different irl, but I shouldn't be having to strain my eyes to see any hint of red in a redhead doll's hair. Plus, I mean, we've had Blaire, a green-eyed Josefina mold doll with ACTUALLY red hair, so Daisy just doesn't feel that exciting, especially as someone who has Blaire.
Daisy's Jean Jacket & Accessories
This reminds me of something Chrissa had in her collection. It's cute and fun, but not something I would buy. I think $150 is a lot for it, too. I feel like it's more of a $90 set, especially since it's a table with no chairs??
Woah, the accessory sets have really shrunk down! A jacket, a book, a bracelet, and some stickers? And what do you mean they're charging $42 for this set?? Honestly, that is unacceptable. I'm not happy with AG.
Daisy's S'mores PJs
Okay, these are so cute. They remind me of my Girl Scouts days. Still, $34 for doll pajamas feels steep.
Daisy's Camp Cabin
Here's her big ticket item! This is cute, albeit small and doesn't really have many accessories. I feel like it's on the lower end of play value because it's just kind of a room, if that makes sense. So, uh, what do you mean it's $395??!! This is NOT a $400 set. Our Generation sells sets that are practically the same.
Daisy's Camp Gowonagin Dog
Cute dog! I like that it comes with a doghouse (reminds me of Coconut's doghouse), but... why is the doghouse cardboard? Why are we charging $46 for a stuffed dog and a cardboard doghouse?
Daisy's Camp Bag & Gear
This is cute! I love the Camp Gowonagin uniform. Yes, Molly went to Camp Gowonagin. Yes, I'm annoyed Daisy doesn't have anything unique in her story. I'm choosing not to address it. Anyway, I like this set a lot, but please, someone tell me why it's $85?? This is like a $56 set.
Daisy's Campfire Set
Of course there has to be a campfire. I'm thinking this would be cute for like $70. But no, it's $120. To put that in perspective, I'd have to work for more than 10 hours to make enough money to buy this set.
Daisy's Guitar
This would be SO cute for Tenney. Like seriously, it fits my Tenney's aesthetic perfectly. Except it's $46. Hard pass.
Daisy's Camp Party Outfit
I really love this outfit! It looks a little cheap in terms of how the pattern is printed, but that's my main critique. I'd probably consider buying it if it weren't $44. It takes me 4 hours to make $44, and I'd rather spend a whole shift's worth of work on something I really want.
Daisy's Camp Crafts Set
My first thoughts were: Cute! Especially since I work at a craft store, I'm very tuned in to crafts right now. Of course no camp-themed collection is complete without a craft set. But then I was like, what even is the craft here?? It looks like we maybe have some stuff for bracelet making, but not like... anything substantial? And the "painted" rocks have a set design that shows up under hot water. That's cool, I guess. But for $46? You could get a lot of beads to make real bracelets for your dolls.
Daisy's Party Table & Snacks
This reminds me of something Chrissa had in her collection. It's cute and fun, but not something I would buy. I think $150 is a lot for it, too. I feel like it's more of a $90 set, especially since it's a table with no chairs??
Daisy's Soccer Uniform
So apparently Daisy does soccer. I'm not sure how they're fitting this in with the whole camp plot because to my understanding, this is an interest outside of camp?? As for the outfit, I mean, we've had dozens of soccer uniforms over the years. This one is nothing special, but it's $44, and I think that's way too much. I have 2 of the Team USA 2020 soccer outfits that went on crazy discount because no one wanted them. My big gripe, though, is that it doesn't come with a ball. For $44, it should come with a ball, because every other soccer uniform AG has released has come with a ball AND was cheaper.
Daisy's Soccer Net Set
Here's the ball! ...in the $60 additional set. I feel like this is a $40 set, max. The old AG hockey set retailed for $75 and came with the net, pucks, stick, stick tape, hockey bag, and full gear. (Bonus points because I bought it for $15 at the Benefit Sale.) I really think AG has lost its way. As my mom put it, there's not much that's special about this set. AG used to have a whole bowling alley set that retailed for ~$100 and tracked scores.
***
AG is not how it used to be. This isn't a conclusion I'm coming to right now. It's something I've been feeling for a while. I don't know how to put it all in words, but it's so disappointing that the brand that helped me get through so much as a child has become so watered down, that I struggle to stay associated with the interest. Maybe there are people who are still excited, but it's not what I fell in love with anymore, and I think it's time to recognize that. I'm someone who embraces change. Just because something is different, I don't automatically think it's bad, and I've defended AG for a long time. I can't do that anymore.
Daisy is a cute doll. But I can't rationalize the price or the feeling of a lack of creativity that she brings. She's not a doll for me, and although I look forward to seeing others' pictures of her, I will definitely sit this one out.
That's all for now. I do hate to leave on a negative note, but Daisy does have me feeling a bit down. In the meantime, I will be focusing on getting enjoyment out of my own collection. Have a fantastic week, and remember to eat your veggies. <3




Hi! I'm not a hands on AG doll girl, but I have seen several on other blogs over the years and to be honest they are probably not for me. And it sounds a little like they have become not for you either. I'm a doll enthusiast, and collect many different kinds of doll, and enjoy seeing what other bloggers from around the world share on their blogs.
ReplyDelete.
I have added you to my reading list as I find your blog interesting. Please feel free to pop by my blog if you have time, you will be most welcome to join in with any comments you'd like to share. https://mydollhaven.blogspot.com/
Big hugs,
X
Welcome to Just Dolling! AG is my primary collection of interest, but modern AG is certainly not for me. I will definitely have to check your blog out. Thank you for commenting, Xanadu!
DeleteI don't think we have AG here, and I'm sure I would have LOVED them when I was a kid. Nowadays I don't think they are for me but as I prefer much smaller and portable dolls. In any case you are allowed to change your mind :) I'd be offended with a cardboard dog house tbh.
ReplyDeleteXanadu and me are on the quest for more doll blogs, but she seems better at finding them than myself.
Mine is https://fantasywoods.net/
In case you are interested in checking it out. I enjoyed yours very much,
What a fun quest! I love American Girl, but I also enjoy seeing other dolls, so I will have to check your blog out! Thank you for commenting!
DeleteI think the summer camp theme is great and possibly relatable to a lot of people (both summer camp kids and Girl Guides/Scouts), but ack, why does Daisy look like a Truly Me? I really do love bangs on a doll, but Daisy is not it. Something about her looks kinda personality-less. Plus the way her friends are such a diverse cast, but they couldn't take the step to make Daisy anything other than white and able-bodied.
ReplyDeleteI think the whole "badge with every outfit/set" thing could've been super cool and a great marketing tactic, but not like this when they're just stickers.
I agree with the disappointment.
-ForestPoodle
Why does it almost feel like AG has forgotten how to do bangs? Is that just me? I agree, there's nothing that makes her feel overly special, and giving her a diverse group of friends but making her white and able-bodied feels a little insulting when we haven't had a Black GOTY in 10 years(!). The badge thing could have been SO cute, and if they really had to go the sticker route, they could have done something like the Grin Pins, which were also stickers, but looked just like pins! And even then, patch stickers also exist.
Delete